A natural gas-fired cogeneration plant produces approximately 80 percent of Duquesne University’s electricity as well as to steam for heating. The university purchases the remaining 20 percent of its electricity demand from renewable energy sources. Meanwhile, the school has retrofitted lights, installed occupancy sensors and reflective


MEDIUM-TERM RECOMMENDATION

Conduct Energy Competitions

Energy reduction contests, especially in dormitories, have consistently been shown to stimulate substantial emissions reductions and cost savings at higher education institutions across the country. These competitions can help shift the campus culture to one which emphasizes and educates consistently around the value of conservation.


Click here to view the complete list of recommendations for higher education, available in the Pittsburgh Climate Action Plan.